Help at home

Getting help at home

Family, friends and neighbours can offer great support for older people, but when they are not available or extra assistance is needed, there are other sources of help.

Types of help available

These types of assistance may be available:

  • cleaning the house and washing clothes
  • nursing and healthcare
  • personal care - eg help with showering
  • delivered meals
  • maintaining and repairing the home or garden
  • getting around the house - eg ramps, rails and equipment
  • shopping
  • transport
  • daycare.

Who can help

My Aged Care is an Australian government website that provides people with up-to-date information about Australia's aged care system and services. You will need to register with My Aged Care and be assessed, to determine eligibility for home support - phone 1800 200 422.

An Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment is not required for aged care services that are not subsidised by the Australian Government. For example, services offered by volunteer groups, charitable organisations and private services.

The Catalyst Foundation provides more information about home support and care options.


Department of Veterans' Affairs provides a variety of in-home and community support programmes focused on assisting you to continue living independently by supporting your health, well being and community connection.

Aboriginal people

My Aged Care provides information about government-funded aged care services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Aboriginal Elders and Community Care Services provide in home and community support services - phone 8346 9155.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 18 March 2019

Provided by:
Department for Health and Wellbeing
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019