Make a noise complaint about a licensed premises

If noise from a licensed premises, or the behaviour of people making their way to or from a licensed premises is unduly offensive, annoying, disturbing or inconvenient, you can lodge a complaint with CBS.

A complaint must be made by at least 10 people who live, work or worship within the area of the licensed premises. However, the Commissioner can accept complaints made by fewer people depending on the nature of the complaint.

If you feel comfortable, it is recommended that you raise your concerns directly with the licensee before lodging a complaint with CBS. The matter may be resolved quickly without outside intervention.

There are no fees to lodge a complaint with CBS.

How to apply

Email, post or in person

1. Print, complete and sign the application form and attach your supporting evidence

Conciliation of complaint application (PDF 116KB)

2. Submit the application

Email the scanned documents to

Post to:

Licensing Branch
GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Take to:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000

What happens next

When a complaint is made, the Commissioner will serve a copy of the complaint on the licensee within 7 days of lodgement and allow 14 days from the date of service before the matter progresses to conciliation or hearing. This is to ensure that the licensee is aware of the concerns and provides an opportunity for the licensee to address the problem, or for the parties to resolve the problem together.

Conciliation Conference

The licensee, and all persons who signed the complaint, will be invited to take part in a conciliation conference with the commissioner or a delegate, usually held at CBS in the Adelaide CBD.

The conciliation conference is not a formal process and there's no need to be represented by a lawyer, but you may choose to do so if you think it's necessary.

At the conciliation conference the Commissioner will attempt to conciliate between the complainants and the licensee. If the matter is resolved by conciliation, then the terms of settlement may become conditions of the licence. If conciliation cannot be achieved the matter will be referred to a hearing.


A hearing can take place before a delegate or the Commissioner if all parties agree, otherwise it will be heard by the licensing court.

At a hearing before a delegate or the Commissioner the licensing authority will take into account a number of relevant factors including:

  • the period of time the activity has been occurring
  • the trading hours and character of the business
  • the desired future character of the area in which the licensed premises is situated
  • whether or not the noise from the premises is reasonable in the circumstances
  • any environment protection policies that exist under the Environment Protection Act 1993 that apply to the provision of live music on the premises
  • any other matter that the Commissioner considers relevant.

Each case will be considered on its merits, considering all relevant factors.

If your matter goes before the licensing court, more information will be provided by the court.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Related information

On this site

Other websites

SA liquor reforms - CBS

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 1 April 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019