A not-for-profit group can incorporate to set up a legal identity separate from its members. Features of an incorporated association include:
- lodged documents are kept on a public register
- it can sue and be sued - giving some protection for individual members
- it can enter into contracts
- affairs are usually run by a committee.
Check if an association is incorporated
You can search to see if an association is already incorporated.
Request an extract or constitution
You can request certified or uncertified documents from an incorporated association such as:
- an extract
- a constitution
- a certificate of incorporation.