Apply to incorporate an association
Incorporated associations have a legal entity separate from their members and usually suit community-based groups as an alternative to other state-based company structures, such as a co-operative.
They are not-for-profit organisations and don't engage in trade or commerce unless approved by the Corporate Affairs Commission, which is administered by Consumer and Business Services (CBS).
A wide range of associations are eligible for incorporation, but they must benefit the community.
How to incorporate (PDF 284 KB) has a comprehensive list of eligible purpose categories on page two.
Check if an association is incorporated
You can search to see if an association is already incorporated.
To incorporate an association you'll need to upload a copy of:
- your association's proposed rules (sometimes called the constitution)
- the completed checklist for the proposed rules
- any trust documents connected to the rules, including documents which establish the trust.
The name of the association must be the same as shown in the rules.
Application fee: $228.00
Before you begin
Your committee members must have:
- authorised someone to complete and lodge the application
- approved the name of the association
- assigned a public officer
- approved the association's rules.
The association's name
The name should reflect the nature and purpose of the association. The name can't be:
- the same as a name reserved or registered under the Corporations Act 2001
- easily mistaken for another incorporated association
- the same as a registered business or likely mistaken for one
- undesirable or offensive to the public
- suggestive of any connection with government.
List of restricted and undesirable names for associations - Government Gazette
Reserve a name
You may reserve your association's name if you need extra time to collect the evidence needed for the application.
Changing the name
An alteration to the name of the incorporated association isn't official until it's approved and registered by CBS.
Contact CBS Associations and Cooperatives
Phone: 131 882
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001