When grievances occur between volunteers and their organisations, most can be resolved internally, usually through an organisation's grievance procedure and disputes resolution policy or through:
- intervention by senior management
- mediation by an independent person where both parties have the opportunity to discuss the problem
- a more formal review that will include an investigation of the claims of both parties.
The first step is to look at your organisation's grievance procedure and disputes resolution policy or speak with your organisation's senior management, with the hope that your concerns can be resolved.
Support and advice
If you are unable to resolve this matter, there are a number of organisations that can assist you. These include:
- Office of the Employee Ombudsman – general advice – phone 8207 1970
- Equal Opportunity Commission – discrimination and harassment – phone 8207 1977
- SafeWork SA – workplace health and safety – phone 1300 365 255
- Sport SA – information, advice and assistance about sport disputes
- Legal Services Commission – legal advice and assistance – phone 1300 366 424.
On this site
- Fact sheet on resolving workplace disputes – Office for Volunteers