Organise a funeral or memorial service
Most funeral directors will help you to plan ahead for a funeral and offer advice on payment options.
When planning a funeral:
- be an informed consumer and don’t be reluctant to ask questions
- discuss all available options before making a decision that fits your financial needs and wishes
- plan a personalised ceremony or service to help you begin the healing process - getting through grief is never easy but having a meaningful funeral or tribute will help.
- consult the will of the deceased for any unique funeral arrangements to be made
- inform relevant people as quickly as possible
- consider the location, type of service, casket or urn, flowers, music, cars, eulogy, and pallbearers
- provide relevant information (eg surviving family members, the location of services etc) for the newspaper notices.
People who need financial support may be eligible for funeral assistance.
To find a funeral director in your area, see the Australian Funeral Directors Association website.
Arranging a funeral - Legal Services Commission
Arranging a funeral - Australian Funeral Director's Association.