Replace certificates after a disaster
All Australian certificates are now printed on new security paper. You don't need a new certificate unless your information has changed. Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information.
You and your immediate family can access a priority service to replace birth, marriage and change of name certificates if you have been affected by the 2019/2020 bushfires.
The Registrars of Births, Deaths and Marriages in any state will replace certificates free of charge.
Free replacement certificates are restricted to documents for you and your immediate family.
How to apply
To apply for a free replacement certificate issued by any Australian state or territory:
- Visit your local recovery centre or call the SA Recovery Hotline on 1800 302 787 and ask for written confirmation that you have suffered loss or damage as a result of the fires and are entitled to free certificates.
- Complete the form - South Australian bushfires application (PDF 280KB) (also available from recovery centres).
- Attach the photocopy of the recovery centre card to your application.
- Attach appropriate identification (if you don't have any ID documents, call Births, Deaths and Marriages on 131 882 for assistance).
- Lodge your form and supporting documents by post to:
Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001
You will need to provide:
| One of the following |
(showing photo and current name, address and signature)
two of the following
(one must show current name and address and one must show signature)
A friend or relative can apply for a certificate on your behalf if you give written permission. Please include your contact details and a copy of your ID with your permission.