Replace certificates after a disaster

You and your immediate family can access a priority service to replace birth, marriage and change of name certificates if you have been affected by the 2019/2020 bushfires.

The Registrars of Births, Deaths and Marriages in any state will replace certificates free of charge.

Free replacement certificates are restricted to documents for you and your immediate family.

How to apply

To apply for a free replacement certificate issued by any Australian state or territory:

  1. Visit your local recovery centre or call the SA Recovery Hotline on 1800 302 787 and ask for written confirmation that you have suffered loss or damage as a result of the fires and are entitled to free certificates.
  2. Complete the form - South Australian bushfires application (PDF 280KB) (also available from recovery centres).
  3. Attach the photocopy of the recovery centre card to your application.
  4. Attach appropriate identification (if you don't have any ID documents, call Births, Deaths and Marriages on 131 882 for assistance).
  5. Lodge your form and supporting documents by post to:

    Births, Deaths and Marriages
    Consumer and Business Services
    GPO Box 1351
    Adelaide SA 5001


You will need to provide:

One of the following
(showing photo and current name, address and signature)
two of the following
(one must show current name and address and one must show signature)
  • current Australian driver’s licence
  • proof of age card
  • passport
  • current Australian firearms licence
  • Centrelink or health care card
  • pension or seniors card
  • credit or debit card OR bank statement
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs card
  • Defence force or police service ID card
  • utility account (electricity, gas, water)
  • business and occupational services licence
  • telephone or mobile account

A friend or relative can apply for a certificate on your behalf if you give written permission. Please include your contact details and a copy of your ID with your permission.

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882
International: +61 8 8204 8532

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Related information

On this site

Emergencies and safety

Other websites

Disaster recovery - Department of Human Services

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 6 August 2021

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2022