Apply for a change of name certificate
Change of name certificates are usually needed when people want to prove their identity after they have registered a change of name for things like passports and claiming government benefits.
Who can apply
The person whose name is on the registration can apply for a certificate. Other people who can apply are:
- a child's parent, if the child is aged less than 18 years - evidence needed
- a child's legal guardian, if the child is aged less than 18 years - evidence needed
- an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee - evidence of authority needed
- someone with written authority or power of attorney - evidence of authority needed.
The same eligibility covers birth certificates with a change of name noted on them.
What you'll need
Applicants need to prove their identity and provide photo ID. You will need either a:
- current Australian driver's licence
- proof of age card.
If you don’t have the above proof, we will accept any two of the following, as long as one includes your current name and address and the other includes your signature:
- Centrelink or health care card
- pension, seniors or veteran's card
- credit or debit card, bank statement
- Business and Occupational Services licence
- defence force or police service ID card
- current Australian firearms licence
- electricity, gas or other utility accounts
- telephone or mobile phone account.
Fees for certificates cover the search of the register – $49.75
Occasionally, CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $49.75 for each ten-year period is charged.
Estimated processing times
Check estimated processing times on the Consumer and Business Services (CBS) website to work out how long it will take to get your certificate.
Your application can be fast-tracked by paying a priority fee of $37.75. Certificates can be picked up from the CBS Customer Service Centre in Adelaide or sent by express post. There is no extra postage cost to have your fast-tracked certificate sent by express post.
Priority service processing times:
- CBS Customer Service Centre applications – 30 minutes
- posted applications – available for collection or posted within 24 hours.
Paying for your certificate
- in person – cash, cheque, money order, credit or debit card
- by post – cheque, money order, credit card.
Cheques should be made payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.
How to apply
1. Application form
Complete and sign the form – Apply for a change of name certificate (184.9 KB PDF).
2. Supporting evidence
Attach copies of the required ID to your application.
Take your application to the CBS Customer Service Centre or post it to:
Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001
Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages
Phone: 131 882
91 Grenfell Street
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001