Water heater requirements

The energy efficiency requirements for installing water heaters are for new or replacement water heaters.

For most homes, it means installing:

  • a low emission water heater, such as a high efficiency gas, solar or electric heat pump system
  • water efficient shower heads or flow restrictors.

Installations where the requirements don't apply

Find out which water heater can be installed

There are different types of water heaters – including electrical, gas and solar hot water systems – which work in different ways and have different running costs.

The tool below will identify the type of water heater your home needs to meet the requirements.

Building classifications

Class 1A: Single detached dwelling or two or more attached dwellings separated by a fire-resistant wall, including a maisonette, row house, townhouse, and single-storey flats or units.

Class 1B: Boarding/guest house or hostel not exceeding 300m2 with no more than 12 residents.

Class 2: Multi-storey building containing two or more sole-occupancy units, where each is a separate dwelling.

Installing a water heater

Only licensed or registered plumbers can install water heaters -  licensing public register

Once the plumber has installed your water heater, they must provide a Certificate of Compliance (eCOC) to the household and the Office of the Technical Regulator.

Eligible solar or electric heat pump water heaters are entitled to small-scale technology certificates (STCs), which can assist with purchase costs.

Further information

Plumbers can contact the plumbers' water heater information line on 1300 883 019 (Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm) for assistance.

Householders can ask their licensed plumber or building contractor for help with code requirements or contact the Energy Advisory Service for more information.

Contact the plumbing trades team in the Office of the Technical Regulator for technical and regulation information.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 1 March 2023

Provided by:
Department for Energy and Mining
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023