Hydraulic design submissions

Hydraulic designs for sanitary plumbing, drainage and water reticulation pipe work and equipment must be lodged with the Office of the Technical Regulator (OTR) for:

  • any installation incorporating an interactive water feature and/or water playground
  • all building developments within the Adelaide CBD
  • commercial and industrial developments, including additions
  • residential developments of three or more floor levels
  • housing developments of three or more dwellings
  • any building that includes an alternative performance based plumbing design
  • non-drinking and drinking water for recreational and commercial/industrial sites
  • trade waste installations
  • residential sites (other than Class 1A) where non-drinking water is provided.

For developments of four or more levels, you also need to lodge schematic plumbing designs.

If you are unsure if you need to submit a plan, contact the OTR for help.

What to include

Hydraulic design plans need to include:

  • pipe sizing, venting, gradients, fixture unit loadings, trade waste details, backflow prevention, and temperature control
  • type of system (eg RVASS, fully vented modified etc), fixture unit loadings, and grades for individual stacks
  • a legend explaining elements of the design.

Lodging the plan

  1. Fill in the Hydraulic design submission form (82.8 KB PDF)
  2. Send the completed form, plans and any other relevant information to otr.hds@sa.gov.au (attachments must be smaller than 10 MB), or post to:
    Office of the Technical Regulator – Plumbing
    GPO Box 320,
    Adelaide SA 5001.

If the hard copy of your plan is larger than A3 size, you must also send a digital copy.


There is no cost to lodge hydraulic design plans with the OTR.

Who else should be notified?

You may also need to notify:

  • SA Water, if the design involves a new sewer or water connection, trade waste, or you are proposing to build over an SA Water asset or easement
  • water entity, if not SA Water
  • SA Health
  • local council.

Please contact SA Water or the local council directly for more information.

Related information

On this site


Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 18 August 2020

Provided by:
Department for Energy and Mining
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2022