Yorketown fire - Nov 2019

On Wednesday 20 November 2019, a fire in the lower Yorke Peninsula of the state damaged properties, crops and livestock.

Relief centre

If you have been affected by the fire and need information and support, you can attend the relief centre at:

Yorketown Town Hall 
15 Edithburgh Rd

The centre is open from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm daily.

Recovery hotline

Call 1800 302 787 if you have been affected by the fire and need information and support.

Donations for the local community

A financial donation is the most helpful way that you can contribute to disaster affected communities. It helps those impacted to buy exactly what they need and spend the funds within their local community.

If you would like to help those impacted by the Yorketown fire, financial donations can be made online through the St Vincent de Paul Society. All donations are tax deductible, with the money going directly to those affected.

The donation of goods is not encouraged as it can pose challenges to administer, store, distribute and dispose of the goods. It also might not meet the needs of people affected by the disaster.

Financial counselling helpline

Financial counsellors can assist South Australians in financial difficulty by providing information, support and advocacy. Their services are free, independent and confidential.

Call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 (free call).

Grants and financial assistance

South Australians directly affected by the Yorketown fire can apply for a number of grants or financial assistance.

Personal Hardship Emergency Grants

South Australians directly affected by the Yorketown fire can apply for one-off emergency grants to assist with immediate, temporary relief.

The Personal Hardship Emergency Grants of up to $700 per family (or $280 per individual adult ) can be used at the discretion of each recipient, but are intended to pay for essential items such as food, toiletries, clothing and medication.

These immediate, emergency relief grants will be provided to people who have had to evacuate their homes and for those who cannot yet return home because roads remain blocked.

People can apply for the grants in person at the Emergency Relief Centre. If approved, grant recipients will receive an ATM card so they can access cash funds.

This assistance is provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.

Disaster Recovery Allowance and Payment

The Australian Government is offering assistance for those who have experienced a loss of income or have been adversely affected as a direct result of the Yorktown fire.

The fastest way to claim the payment or apply for the allowance is to call 180 22 66. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, and on Saturday and Sunday from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.

Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income. It is payable for a maximum of 13 weeks from the date you lose your income.

Disaster recovery allowance - Australian Government Department of Human Services

Disaster Recovery Payment

The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you.

If you’re eligible you will get $1,000 per adult and $400 for each child under 16 years of age.

Disaster Recovery Payment - Australian Government Department of Human Services

Health and wellbeing

People may experience grief or stress after a disaster like a bushfire. Sometimes the impact is obvious straight away, but often it is a slow process. Some impacts include shock, anger, depression, tension, irritability, anxiety or difficulty making decisions.

More information on health and wellbeing support services after a disaster.

Mental health recovery information - SA Health.

Local recovery coordinator

Deb Richardson is the local recovery coordinator for the Yorketown fires. Deb is working with the local community to understand its recovery needs and identify what other additional assistance maybe required.

Rural financial counselling service

Rural Business Support provides a free rural financial counselling service for primary producers or small rural businesses who are more than 75% reliant on primary production for income.

It can assist you to make decisions and work through the implications of the current situation on your business.

Phone 1800 836 211 (free call).

Water quality

Bushfires generate large amounts of ash and debris which have the potential to contaminate rainwater supplies. Although the presence of ash and debris in rainwater does not represent a health risk, it could affect colour, turbidity and taste.

The SA Health Water Quality team is available to answer questions during business hours on  8226 7100.

Find out more about water quality after a fire:

Bushfires and water quality - SA Health

Guidance on use of rainwater tanks

Page last updated 2 December 2019

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019