Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Waste management

For replacement of rubbish and recycling bins contact your local council.

Check with your local council before moving any non-household rubbish or waste. If you need temporary bins for this waste, contact your local council. Separate recyclable materials such as scrap metal, concrete and bricks.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides advice on waste management issues and disposal of burnt items from bushfires, including:

  • CCA treated timber
  • contaminated water in rainwater tanks
  • chemicals
  • bushfire-affected animal carcasses
  • building rubble
  • wastewater disposal.

Hazardous waste

Chemicals - register with ChemClear or call 1800 008 182.

Recycling - visit Recycle Right to find out how to recycle a wide range of items.

Dead animals

A pet or small wildlife can be buried on your property. If you can't do this, contact your local council or vet.

In the case of larger animals, such as stock, you should contact your local council.

For advice on the safe disposal of large numbers of animal carcasses:

Page last updated 11 January 2020

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020