Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Keeping safe at home

If you are at home after an emergency you need to:

  • be able to look after yourself if help doesn't come
  • be aware of any dangers and take steps to protect your health and safety
  • if it is safe to do so, help others, including neighbours
  • apply first aid if people are injured and, if it is a life-threatening situation, dial Triple Zero (000) and ask for ambulance.
  • let your emergency contact know that you are safe
  • stay tuned to your local ABC radio station. Information may change quickly so check regularly for updates and heed any warnings.

Each type of emergency results in different risks to your safety. Find what do after an event:

Health and wellbeing

Disasters can affect both your physical and mental health. Important information is available here:

After a disaster, the risk of domestic violence increases and victims may be more reluctant to report. A disaster and its after-effects do not justify domestic violence. For information on support services, visit Domestic violence and sexual assault.

Secure your home

If your home and property have been damaged you'll need to make sure it is secure against further damage.

Take reasonable precautions to protect your home from the weather and potential theft or vandalism.

Cover any holes in the roof or walls. Make sure that any doors, windows or openings are secure and only approved access to the site is allowed. If necessary, use plywood sheeting or install temporary fencing which can be hired or purchased from hardware stores.

If you own your home

If you're the owner of the property you are responsible for organising security of your home while you wait for an insurance assessment. Your insurance company will provide you with advice and, if a representative is in attendance, they can organise a contractor to make your home secure. The insurance company may refuse to pay for any losses that occur after the disaster if you have not taken steps to secure the property.

If you are renting

If you rent or lease the house you need to tell your real estate agent or landlord so they can organise site security.

If an urgent repair is required - eg burst water pipe, gas leak or dangerous electrical fault - every effort should be made to contact the agent or landlord. If the agent or landlord or the nominated repairer can't be contacted you can have the repair carried out by a person who is licensed to carry out the work. The repairer is to provide the landlord with a report on work carried out and the cause of the damage. You will be entitled to recover costs from the landlord of having carried out the repairs.

SA Housing Authority tenants

Phone the 24/7 maintenance centre on 131 12 88.

If your home is part of an investigation

If your home is part of an investigation, it will be the responsibility of the investigation officer or police officer to secure your home. They will put barrier tape around your home to prevent entry as it may not be safe and could compromise the investigation.

If you need to go into your home an investigation officer or police officer may go with you. Once the investigation is finished they will give control of your home back to you.

Related information

On this site

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 24 December 2019

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020