Volunteering in emergencies
When there is a disaster, you may want to lend a hand in the recovery. The State Recovery Office is responsible for managing the needs of affected community members and works with Volunteering SA & NT to assist in planning and managing the volunteer effort.
Register to help
After a disaster, you can register to help through Volunteering SA & NT. Use the We Do app or go to the Volunteering SA & NT website and search by entering the words 'Disaster relief' in Causes (app) or Keywords (website). Volunteering SA & NT will also activate a phone number for people to register.
Volunteering SA & NT will refer potential volunteers to organisations involved in the disaster recovery, eg Habitat for Humanity or Samaritan's Purse.
If you don't receive a call straight after you register, don't think you aren't needed. The biggest need for volunteers occurs in the weeks, months and years following a disaster.
What to expect when you volunteer
As a volunteer in post-disaster recovery operations, it is expected that you will:
- support the work of the team
- be flexible and reasonable in accommodating team requirements where possible
- treat those in need, other volunteers and workers with respect and courtesy
- be open, honest and fair in your volunteer role
- take responsibility for your own health and safety and not put the health and safety of others at risk
- participate in training, briefings or coaching necessary to your voluntary duties
- take responsibility for staying informed
- use information gained in the course of your volunteer work with sensitivity and discretion and observe confidentiality and privacy requirements
- help to maintain a harmonious workplace and recognise the value of diversity.
State Recovery Office
Phone: 8415 4302
Volunteering SA & NT
Phone: 8221 7177