2018 events

Sherwood fire - 6 Jan

On Saturday 6 January 2018, a fire in the upper South East of the state damaged properties and livestock.

Recovery hotline

Call 1800 302 787 if you have been affected by the fire and need information and support.

You can speak to an operator Monday to Friday, from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm. If calling after hours, a message can be left for a call back the next working day.

Business and career support

Regional Development Australia (RDA) provides free business and career support at:

Donating goods

While donating second-hand goods and clothing may seem generous, managing these goods can take time and resources away from the important work of helping those affected by disaster.

Donated goods don’t often meet actual needs. Recovery organisers will appeal for specific items as needed.

Emotional recovery

Visit emotional recovery after a traumatic event for information about looking after mental health and when dealing with damaged homes or properties.

Financial counselling

Personal telephone financial counselling helpline

Financial counsellors can assist South Australians in financial difficulty by providing information, support and advocacy for their clients. Their services are free, independent and confidential.

Call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 (free call).

Rural financial counselling service

Rural Business Support provides a free rural financial counselling service for primary producers or small rural businesses who are more than 75% reliant on primary production for income.

It can assist enterprises to make decisions and work through the implications of the current situation for their business.

Phone 1800 836 211 (freecall).

Free professional telephone and online counselling

Regional Access offers free counselling 24 hours a day, seven days a week for people 16 years and older living or working in regional South Australia.

To contact Regional Access call 1300 032 186 or visit Regional Access website.

Information for primary producers

For information on land and livestock management after a bushfire, visit the Primary  Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) bushfire information webpage.

Insurance assistance

For information on claiming insurance after a disaster, visit the Insurance Council of Australia website or Make an insurance claim.

Rebuilding information

For information on planning, development applications and approvals to rebuild visit Land and property development.

Visit Bushfire Regulations for fact sheets on rebuilding in bushfire prone areas and advice to make your home more resistant to bushfires.

Registration and licenses

Service SA can provide assistance with vehicle and trailer registrations and licenses, including information on fees and concessions. To contact Services SA call 13 10 84 or visit Service centre locations, opening hours and contact details.

Further information is also available on Driving and transport topics.

Sherwood bushfire appeal

St Vincent de Paul is accepting online financial donations to help those affected by the fire.

Useful contacts

For a comprehensive list of useful phone numbers, social media and website links download the Sherwood Fire Community Information Fact Sheet on the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion website.

Page last updated 18 January 2018

Provided by:
Department of Communities and Social Inclusion
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016