Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
School dress codes (uniforms)
School dress codes (uniforms) in South Australia vary from school to school.
Most government schools have a dress code (uniform) that:
- regardless of a student’s gender identity, is flexible and allows the right of choice and gender expression
- sets clear standards about the type of clothing that students can wear to school
- ensures health, safety and decency standards
- is practical for a wide range of physical activities and conditions
- allows for freedom of movement, level of comfort and other special circumstances (for example pregnancy or disability)
- connects the student with the school
- helps all children feel comfortable with their classmates
- is cost effective.
Government schools follow the school dress code administrative instruction when establishing or reviewing their dress code.