School dress codes (uniforms)
School dress codes (uniforms) in South Australia vary from school to school.
Most government schools have a dress code (uniform) that:
- regardless of a student’s gender identity, is flexible and allows the right of choice and gender expression
- sets clear standards about the type of clothing that students can wear to school
- ensures health, safety and decency standards
- is practical for a wide range of physical activities and conditions
- allows for freedom of movement, level of comfort and other special circumstances (for example pregnancy or disability)
- connects the student with the school
- helps all children feel comfortable with their classmates
- is cost effective.
Government schools follow the school dress code administrative instruction when establishing or reviewing their dress code.