In South Australia, you can apply to home educate your child during their compulsory school years (6 to 17 years).
When applying, you accept overall responsibility for your child’s education and must provide:
- a suitable education program that meets the goals of the Australian Curriculum (or similar), including strategies and tools to monitor your child’s progress
- appropriate resources to support your program
- a suitable learning environment
- opportunities for your child’s social interaction.
Apply to home educate
To request an application, complete the request for home education form.
Guide to home education
The guide to home education in South Australia (PDF 4.7MB) explains the process and all the requirements.
This guide provides information on:
- the conditions and criteria for home education
- alternative education options and exemptions
- completing the online application
- renewing a home education exemption
- resources and services available to you
- your roles and responsibilities and our roles and responsibilities.