Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
In South Australia, you can apply to home educate your child during their compulsory school years (6 to 17 years).
When applying to home educate, you accept overall responsibility for your child’s education and must provide:
- a suitable education program that meets the goals of the Australian Curriculum (or similar), including strategies and tools to monitor your child’s progress
- appropriate resources to support your program
- a suitable learning environment and
- opportunities for your child’s social interaction.
Guide to home education
The guide to home education in South Australia explains the process and requirements for home education.
This guide has been developed for families considering home education and provides information on:
- the conditions and criteria for home education
- alternative education options and exemptions
- completing the online application
- renewing a home education exemption
- resources and services available to you
- your roles and responsibilities and our roles and responsibilities.
If you have any questions, email the Department for Education's Home Education unit at Education.HomeEducation@sa.gov.au
Applying to home educate
To access the link to the online application form, email your name, address and contact number to Education.HomeEducation@sa.gov.au.
The best time to call is on a Monday or Friday as home education officers generally conduct home visits on other days.