Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Host an international high school student
- learn about other cultures, customs and traditions
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- explore fun things to see and do in South Australia.
Read about the experiences of other homestay families
- Margaret finds being a homestay enriching
- Marie visited her students in Germany
- Ellyanne hosted a Korean study tour student
What is involved?
When you host an international student, they will become a member of your family. Your student will be a long way from home and in your care. You will be expected to provide them with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment. As a homestay family, you will be required to provide:
- furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- internet access
- use of facilities (e.g. access to TV, iron, vacuum cleaner)
You will also be required to:
- support your student in their studies
- monitor your student's health and well-being
- accept duty of care for your student outside of school hours
- negotiate reasonable expectations of behaviour inside and outside the home
- notify South Australian Government Schools of any changes in family circumstances (e.g. illness, separation, family members returning home, new partner, moving house, planning holidays)
- notify South Australian Government Schools if you are hosting other students from other education institutions.
South Australian Government Schools offer ongoing support to all homestay families and provides a 24 hour emergency phone service.
Please note homestay fees do not include:
- phone and internet usage
- personal items.
How to become a homestay
- completion of the Homestay Application Form available within the Homestay Application Package
- approved criminal history screening for every person over 18 years of age residing in your home (reviewed every 3 years)
- a visit and interview by one of our accommodation officers to meet your family and assess the facilities in your home
- your attendance at periodic homestay information workshops organised by South Australian Government Schools.
If you are interested in hosting an international high school student, simply complete the homestay enquiry form and one of our friendly staff will respond to you within 2 working days.
International Education Services
Phone: +61 8 8226 3402