Support to learn English
Students with minimal English who have recently arrived in South Australia may be eligible for support to learn English for living and studying in South Australia.
Intensive English Language Program and New Arrivals Program
Newly arrived primary school students can enrol in an Intensive English Language Program (IELP). Secondary school students can enrol in a New Arrivals Program (NAP). These programs help students by providing:
- intensive English language support from specialist teachers of English as an additional language or dialect (EALD)
- a modified curriculum for school aged children
- a variety of activities within the school and local community, including excursions and social events
- bilingual classroom support.
Classes are small and students generally stay in the program for up to one year. Some students are eligible for more than one year in the program.
Brochures in different languages
- Arabic brochure
- Bengali brochure
- Burmese brochure
- Chinese brochure
- Dari brochure
- Gujerati brochure
- Hindi brochure
- Indonesian brochure
- Korean brochure
- Nepali brochure
- Pashto brochure
- Persian brochure
- Punjabi brochure
- Sinhalese brochure
- Somali brochure
- Swahili brochure
- Tagalog brochure
- Tamil brochure
- Urdu brochure
- Vietnamese brochure
Who is eligible?
To be eligible you must enrol at an IELP or NAP within 12 months of arriving in Australia, or 18 months for children beginning school in reception or year 1.
Some categories of temporary visa holders are not eligible for IELP or NAP or may need to pay a fee. The school will talk to you about this during enrolment.
For information about enrolment phone your nearest centre or the EALD program on 8226 2375.
Students between the ages of 5 and 12 years can enrol in an IELP at one of the designated primary schools. Classes are organised according to individual needs.
Students are continuously assessed and parents are advised when they are ready to leave the program to join mainstream classes.
Teachers receive an exit report from the IELP teacher to help children with the transition to mainstream schooling.
2022 IELP and NAP locations
|Phone and email|
|Blair Athol North Birth-7 School||
Blair Athol SA 5084
|8168 0700 |
|Darlington Primary School||
9-11 White Crescent|
Seacombe Gardens SA 5047
|East Torrens Primary School||
12 Robson Road|
Hectorville SA 5073
|8337 1411 |
|Elizabeth Downs Primary School||
Elizabeth Downs SA 5113
|Elizabeth Vale Primary School||
Elizabeth Vale SA 5112
|8255 1307 |
|Gilles Street Primary School||
91 Gilles Street|
Adelaide SA 5000
|8223 5184 |
|Ingle Farm Primary School||
2 Belalie Street|
Ingle Farm SA 5098
|8262 4864 |
|Pennington R-7 School||
Pennington SA 5013
|The Pines R-7 School||
42 Andrew Smith Drive|
Parafield Gardens SA 5107
The Adelaide Secondary School of English is the only metropolitan government school that caters for newly arrived students between the ages of 13 and 18.
The school offers:
- intensive English lessons across the curriculum
- placement in a range of classes based on English language ability, age and educational background
- opportunities to learn about the local community and global citizenship
- an introduction to the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE) through the Personal Learning Plan in year 10
- support to move to a mainstream government, independent or Catholic high school
- information and access to training or courses
- a wide range of support services through the various student wellbeing programs.
Contact the Adelaide Secondary School of English:
Other country areas
Families of non-English speaking background in other country areas may have access to support services through the English as an additional language or Dialect (EALD) program.
Phone the EALD Program on 8226 2756 for more information.
Students over 17 who want to study full-time in an adult environment can enrol in the NAP centre at Thebarton Senior College.
Students may receive credit towards the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE) when completing this program.
Contact Thebarton Senior College: