Drugs, alcohol and young people
It is important for parents and schools to have consistent messages about drugs and alcohol and work together if an issue arises.
Drugs and alcohol in schools
The school drug strategy was developed to support schools in developing effective drug education and whole school practices.
Contact the school directly for information on drug education programs at individual schools.
Advice and support for parents
Information and help is available for parents who:
- are worried about their child's drinking, smoking or drug use
- want information about alcohol and other drugs
- need to talk to someone about alcohol and other drug issues.
Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS)
A confidential telephone counselling, information and referral service for the general public, concerned family and friends, students and health professionals.
Call 1300 13 1340 (8.30am to 10pm every day).
Family Drug Support Australia
24 hour phone support
Phone: 1300 368 186
Information about alcohol use and peer pressure.
Information on preventing adolescent drug and alcohol misuse.
Strategies to prevent children from using alcohol or other drugs and how to approach children suspected of using alcohol or other drugs, including a step-by-step process to discussing drug use with your child and strategies for parents.
Child and Youth Health
Child and Youth Health provide information on:
- why young people use drugs
- what parents can do to prevent drugs use
- how to approach children suspected of using drugs.
The Australian Drug Foundation
The Australian Drug Foundation has a series of free drug related downloads and factsheets including:
- general information about drugs
- information about specific drugs
- information for different audiences - self-help, family and friends, drivers, professionals, etc
- advice about teenage parties
The National Drug Campaign
The National Drug Campaign website includes:
- information for parents with tips for addressing drug and alcohol misuse and reasons teens use drugs
- drug profiles with specific information on a variety of drugs.
Advice and support for children
Help is available from school for students who are:
- worried about their drinking, smoking or other drug use
- being pressured to drink smoke or use other drugs
- worried about someone else's drinking, smoking or other drug use
- wanting more information about alcohol and other drugs
- wanting to talk to someone about alcohol and other drug issues.
The following services provide free support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Alcohol & Drug Information Service
Phone: 1300 131 340
Phone: 1800 551 800
Youth Health line
Phone: 1300 13 17 19
Phone: 1800 888 236