Healthy eating in schools and preschools
Preschools and schools teach children about food and nutrition as part of the curriculum.
The Department for Education has advice about managing a school canteen.
Children with special food needs
Parents must inform the school or preschool if a child has:
- special food needs related to health conditions such as cystic fibrosis or diabetes
- a food allergy.
Early childhood centres and schools may ban food that contains peanuts for safety. This decision is made by the governing council.
Talk to the early childhood centre or school about putting a health care plan in place with details about how your child is affected and what support is necessary.
- Better health - healthdirect
- Eat for health - Australian government
- Getting more fruit and veg in your day - SA Health
- Healthy eating - SA Health
Provided by: Department for Education
Page last updated 19 October 2021