Feedback and complaints about a school or preschool

You can give feedback or make a complaint about a government school or preschool by following the steps on this page.

For independent (private) schools or preschools, contact them directly to find out about their process.

Your complaint or feedback may be about:

  • the type, level or quality of service
  • staff behaviour and decisions
  • a policy, procedure or practice.

Translated versions of this information are available in 18 languages.

Giving positive feedback

Use the Department for Education's form to give positive feedback or make suggestions about a school or preschool:

Give feedback

Making a complaint

    1. Step 1

      Contact the school or preschool

      First, contact the relevant staff member at the school or preschool to try to resolve the issue. This is usually best done by email or phone. If you’re not sure who to contact, speak to their admin staff to find out.

      If they’re unable to help, contact their leader. This could be a senior teacher, the principal or preschool director.

    2. Step 2

      Raise the issue with the Department for Education

      If you feel the issue couldn’t be resolved by the school or preschool, you can contact the Department for Education.

      Their customer feedback team can give you information and advice and try to help work out a suitable solution.

      Make a complaint to the department

      Phone: 1800 677 435 (free call)

    3. Step 3

      Lodge a complaint with the SA Ombudsman

      If your issue still hasn’t been resolved, you have the right to refer your complaint to the SA Ombudsman.

      Make a complaint to the SA Ombudsman

      Phone: 1800 182 150 (free call)

        Related information

        Other websites

        Department for Education website

          Was this page useful?

          Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

          Page last updated 12 October 2022

          Provided by:
          Department for Education

          Last Updated:
          Printed on:
          Copyright statement:
          SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023