Feedback and complaints about tertiary education

If you aren't satisfied with your university or vocational education and training (VET) provider you can submit a complaint. Always keep written records about your complaint in case you need them as proof later.

Contact the education provider

The first step is to talk to the student administration area of your provider to resolve the complaint.

After this, if you wish to make a formal complaint, it must be submitted to your provider using their official processes.

A formal complaint requires a response or decision in writing from your provider.

If you disagree with your provider’s decision, you can submit an internal appeal to your provider. Your provider must produce their response or decision in writing.

If you disagree with your provider’s internal appeal decision, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by an external body chosen by your provider.


Adelaide University -  Student grievance resolution process and Student feedback

Flinders University - Feedback, rights and policy

University of South Australia - Student feedback and complaints

Torrens University - Complaints


Technical and Further Education (TAFE SA) - Customer resolution and feedback

Registered Training Providers (RTOs) - find your RTO and visit their website or contact them direct

Contact the Ombudsman or the ACCC

If you are still not satisfied with the outcome after the external review, you can contact the Ombudsman or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

They will not assess your complaint unless you have had both an internal review and an external review.

Public provider

If you are studying with a public provider ie TAFE or most universities you can lodge an external appeal with the SA Ombudsman.

Private provider

If you are studying at a private provider, you can lodge your complaint with the ACCC. The ACCC will only investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

You can also let the Australian Skills Quality Authority know about your issue with a RTO.

VET student loans Ombudsman

The VET Student Loans Ombudsman may be able to help if:

  • you believe you have a VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans debt that you should not have
  • you believe you have been treated unfairly by a VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan approved provider.

International students

Overseas students studying at a public university or TAFE can submit their complaint to the State Ombudsman.

Overseas students studying at a private training provider can submit an external complaint with the Commonwealth Overseas Students Ombudsman.

Record a complaint about the quality of teaching

If your complaint is about your education course or tutor, you can contact the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA) to submit a complaint.

TEQSA does not respond directly to complaints. It will record your complaint as part of its quality assurance and compliance.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 29 May 2023

Provided by:
Department for Education
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023