Hearing impaired - school children

Students with a hearing impairment, as well as their parents and teachers, can make use of specialist support services and resources. These are available from the age of diagnosis to the end of high school.

Individual amplification devices, such as hearing aids are available through Australian Hearing until the age of 26.

Arranging support services

  1. The school principal fills in a referral form and gets parent consent.
  2. The local education office advises parents when they receive the referral.
  3. The nominated support service contacts the school to arrange the services needed.
  4. The school develops a Negotiated Education Plan (NEP) with input from parents, the audiologist and the special educator (hearing). This details the support required and the responsibilities of each party.

Schools for the hearing impaired

Within the range of services for children and students with impaired hearing, there are several schools with specialised programs for those with significant hearing losses. Contact the schools for more information and to enquire about enrolment criteria.


Klemzig primary school - phone 8261 1944

Primary schools

Brighton primary school - phone 8296 3614
Klemzig primary school - phone 8261 1944
Elizabeth Park primary school - phone 8255 1160
Hillcrest primary school - phone 8261 2845

High schools

Adelaide High School - phone 8231 9373
Windsor Gardens Secondary College - phone 8266 1211

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 29 June 2017

Provided by:
Department for Education
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021