Compliance plate display exemption
On this page you can apply for:
- exemption for an imported motor vehicle not fitted with a compliance plate
- exemption for an Australian-delivered motor vehicle where the compliance plate is missing.
Exemption allows a vehicle to be driven without displaying a compliance plate.
Before you begin
The following vehicles are eligible for the exemption:
- A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, that was manufactured in or after May 1971 with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) up to and including 4,500 kg which is not fitted with a compliance plate.
- A motorcycle that was manufactured in or after October 1977 which is not fitted with a compliance plate.
If your vehicle or trailer has GVM greater than 4,500 kg you need to contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator - phone 1300 696 487
Apply for an exemption from fitting a compliance plate. You'll need to provide details about the vehicle.
What you'll need
You will need to provide:
- your driver's licence details
- VIN or chassis number of vehicle
- make, model, body type, and year of manufacture
- if the vehicle is privately imported, an import document issued by the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts
- verification of registration in Australia or an import approval document issued by the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts
- if the vehicle has been registered in Australia, registration documents from the state or territory the vehicle was registered in
- if the vehicle has been converted from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, an engineer's report, prepared by the light vehicle engineering signatory for the conversion.
What happens next
It can take up to 3 weeks from receipt of all the relevant information for your application to be processed.
If you apply using your mySAGOV account, you can check the status of your application.
Phone - 1300 882 248
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org