Left-hand drive vehicle single trip exemption
Under South Australian legislation, a motor vehicle must be right-hand drive.
You may apply for an exemption to this rule in order to drive a left-hand-drive vehicle from and to specified destinations.
Left-hand-drive vehicles that are 30 years of age or older from 1 January of the year of vehicle manufacture.
This exemption may allow you to:
- drive your car home after initial purchase
- drive your car to a business for a quote or conversion to right-hand drive
- drive your car to present for DIT vehicle inspection
- drive your car for mechanical repairs*
All permits must be approved by Vehicle Standards.
Before you begin
You will need to provide:
- driver's licence details
- VIN/chassis number of vehicle
- vehicle make, model, body type, and year of manufacture
- the date and time of your driving journey
- the name of the business converting your vehicle to right-hand drive
- The starting location you will be driving from, the final location you will be driving to, and the specific route taken
How to apply
If you need assistance
What happens next
It can take up to one week from receipt of all the relevant information for your application to be processed.