Left-hand drive vehicle single trip exemption
Under South Australian legislation, a motor vehicle must be right-hand drive.
You may apply for an exemption to this rule in order to drive a left-hand-drive vehicle from and to specified destinations.
Left-hand-drive vehicles that are 30 years of age or older from 1 January of the year of vehicle manufacture.
This exemption may allow you to:
- drive your car home after initial purchase
- drive your car to a business for a quote or conversion to right-hand drive
- drive your car to present for DPTI vehicle inspection
Before you begin
You will need to provide:
- driver's licence details
- VIN/chassis number of vehicle
- vehicle make, model, body type, and year of manufacture
- the date and time of your driving journey
- the name of the business converting your vehicle to right-hand drive
- The starting location you will be driving from, the final location you will be driving to, and the specific route taken
How to apply
If you need assistance
Email - email@example.com
Phone - 1300 882 248
What happens next
It can take up to one week from receipt of all the relevant information for your application to be processed.