Application for not displaying a compliance plate
On this page you can apply for:
- exemption for an imported motor vehicle not fitted with a compliance plate
- exemption for an Australian-delivered motor vehicle where the compliance plate is missing.
Exemption allows a vehicle to be driven without displaying a compliance plate.
A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, that was manufactured in or after May 1971 with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) up to and including 4500 kg which is not fitted with a compliance plate.
A motorcycle that was manufactured in or after October 1977 which is not fitted with a compliance plate.
If your vehicle or trailer has GVM greater than 4,500 kg you need to contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator - phone 1300 696 487
Before you begin
You will need to provide:
- driver's licence details
- VIN/chassis number of vehicle
- make, model, body type and year of manufacture
- if the vehicle is privately imported, an import document issued by the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications
- verification of registration in Australia or an import approval document issued by Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- if the vehicle has been registered in Australia, registration documents from the state or territory the vehicle was registered in
- if the vehicle has been converted from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, an engineer's report prepared by the Light Vehicle Engineering Signatory for the conversion.
How to apply
What happens next
It can take up to three weeks from receipt of all the relevant information for your application to be processed.