Vehicle insurance

Insurance can protect you against costs and liabilities if you are involved in a crash or if your car is stolen or damaged.

Compulsory third party insurance

Compulsory third party insurance (CTPI) is paid whenever you register a vehicle in South Australia. It provides compensation to crash victims where the owner or driver of a registered South Australian vehicle is at fault. It may also cover crash victims where a passenger is at fault.

CTP insurance only covers bodily injury, it does not cover damage to vehicles or property involved in accidents.

Vehicles without registration and CTP insurance can be detected by traffic cameras. Owners and drivers will be heavily penalised and may have to pay significant compensation to an injured person in the event of an accident.

From 1 July 2016, AAMI, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited and SGIC provide CTP insurance for vehicles registered in South Australia. South Australian motorists will be allocated one of the four private CTP providers.

More information about the private provision of the CTP insurance scheme is available on the CTP Insurance Regulator website.

Who is covered and compensated

CTP party insurance:

  • covers passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users
  • provides coverage 24 hours a day, Australia wide
  • compensates for reasonable treatment and other expenses.

It does not:

  • provide full compensation for anyone who contributes to their injuries
  • cover injuries to a driver who is entirely at fault
  • cover damage to vehicles or property.

To make a claim for compensation, an injured person must prove that another (insured) person was at fault. In single vehicle crashes, drivers who are at fault may not be not eligible for compensation if they are injured, but passengers who are injured may claim compensation.


The fees, or premiums, are listed under various classes in the CTP premium schedule (271.1 KB PDF), which is sent to you with your vehicle registration notice or can be obtained from Service SA customer service centres.

You may need to change your premium class if you change your residential or garaging address, concession status or use of the vehicle, or if you make certain alterations to the vehicle itself.

Phone 13 10 84 or visit a Service SA customer service centre to find out if the changes affect your premium.

Making a claim

If you are injured in a road crash, contact the CTP Insurance Regulator for more information on how to make a claim or visit for more information.

Phone – 1300 303 558
Fax – 1300 617 531
GPO Box 1095
Adelaide SA 5001
Email -
Website –

After reporting the crash, the owner, person in charge or the driver of a motor vehicle involved in a crash, have a duty to cooperate fully with the approved insurer in respect to providing the information required to process any claim.

Reporting CTP insurance fraud

False motor injury claims against compulsory third party insurance (CTP) cost millions of dollars - about $10 per year for every registered vehicle.

To report motor injury fraud call the fraud hotline on 1800 013 443 - you can remain anonymous.

Third party property insurance

Third party property insurance may cover damage caused by you to another person's property, but not your car. It is relatively inexpensive and can be arranged with an insurance company of your choice. If your vehicle is not covered, you may have to pay the repair costs for the other person's vehicle if you are responsible for a crash.

Comprehensive insurance

Comprehensive insurance may cover damage to your car, other cars, property or for theft. If you have taken out a loan to buy a car, you may be required to purchase this type of insurance.

If you decide to buy private vehicle insurance, shop around and find the deal that best suits your needs. Make sure you know exactly what you are covered for, what your obligations are and how to make a claim.

Was this page useful?

We can't respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please use our contact page.

Page last updated 30 November 2016

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016