Left-hand drive vehicle single trip exemption
Under South Australian legislation, a motor vehicle must be right-hand drive. You may apply for an exemption to this rule in order to drive a left-hand-drive vehicle from and to specified destinations. This applies to left-hand-drive vehicles where it is 25 years or more since 1 January in the year of vehicle manufacture.
This exemption may allow you to:
- drive your car home after initial purchase
- drive your car to a business for a quote or conversion to right-hand drive
- drive your car to present for DIT vehicle inspection.
- drive your car to a place for mechanical repair.
To apply you will need to ensure that the vehicle is in roadworthy condition and provide:
- driver's licence details
- VIN/chassis number of vehicle
- vehicle make, model, body type, and year of manufacture
- the date and time of your driving journey
- the name of the business converting your vehicle to right-hand drive or mechanical repairs
- the location you will be starting from, the location you will be driving to and the specific route to be taken.