Industry services

Getting permission to carry out roadworks

An application must be made in writing to the Traffic Management Centre before any roadworks on major arterial roads in South Australia start.

How to apply to do roadworks

1 . Complete application form

Electronically enter your permit request via DPTI's Roadworks Portal.

To request access to, or for further information on the Roadworks Portal, please contact the Traffic Management Centre on 1800 018313 or email

2 . Lodge the form

Deliver your application by email, fax or post to one of the offices listed, depending on the location of the works.

Metropolitan Adelaide

Manager, Traffic Operations
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide 5001
Fax: 8226 8329
Phone: 1800 018 313

Eastern South Australia

Planning Engineer, Murray Bridge
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
121-129 Thomas Street
Murray Bridge 5253
Fax: 7223 6023
Phone: 7223 6012

Northern and western South Australia

Technical Officer, Northern and Western
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
PO Box 696
Port Augusta 5700
Email: dpti.northern&
Fax: 8648 5270
Phone: 8648 5211

3. Meet the standards

Conform to roadwork standards.

Works including trenching, boring and road or lane closures (including those for events) must conform to excavation and reinstatement of road pavement standards and traffic control devices for works on roads requirements.

Why the road works must be monitored

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure monitors all roadworks that may infringe on or reduce traffic flow to:

  • ensure the road is not damaged
  • coordinate traffic flow
  • provide a conduit between the road users and contractors undertaking works
  • provide a central point of contact for emergency callouts, damage claims and public enquiries.

Locating underground road traffic cables

Before you dig around traffic signals or road lights you should check there are no underground electrical cables nearby.

Telephone the Traffic Management Centre 1800 018 313 (free call 24 hours).

Please take care when digging - damaging electrical cables can be dangerous for workers and costly to repair.

Related information

On this site

Roads and traffic

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 17 September 2018

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018