The Heysen Tunnels are located on the South Eastern Freeway between Adelaide and Crafers.
Reporting a breakdown in the tunnels
If your vehicle breaks down in the tunnels alert the Traffic Management Centre by:
- using a roadside emergency phone within the tunnels, or
- telephoning 1800 018 313.
The operator will advise what action to take.
Reporting an incident in the tunnels
If you witness or are involved in a traffic incident in the tunnels you need to report it to SA Police.
About the Heysen Tunnels
There are two Heysen Tunnels running side-by-side. One is city-bound and the other is hills-bound.
- is 500 metres long
- is 10.5 metres wide
- has three lanes, each 3.5 metres wide
- has a 90 km/hour speed limit, and takes about 20 seconds to drive through
- has incident detection cameras that detect stopped or slow moving vehicles - these alert the Traffic Management Centre to any problems
- has roadside emergency telephones every 50 metres along the tunnel wall.
Provided by: Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Page last updated 21 April 2017