I have bought a vehicle

If you have bought a vehicle, you may be required to register it in your name.

Register a vehicle online with a mySA GOV account.

Who is this for

People who have bought a registered vehicle must register it in their name within 14 days.

People who have bought an unregistered vehicle and wish to register it as the new owner.

What you need

A mySA GOV account.

See below for other ways to apply.

For a registered vehicle

You need the vehicle’s registration details certificate, signed by the registered owner. This provides information, including the seller's details, that is required to process the transaction online.

For an unregistered vehicle

You need the vehicle's details including registration number, engine number and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This information can be found on the vehicle’s registration details certificate.

A 3 or 12 month period of registration will also need to be purchased during the transaction.


You will need to pay:

Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 for more information.

Other ways to apply

Apply in person

The Application for Transfer can be found on the vehicle's registration details certificate. Submit the Application for Transfer of Registration to a Service SA customer service centre and pay the appropriate fee.

If the seller has agreed to transfer the remaining registration, both the buyer and seller must sign the Application for Transfer of Registration. If the seller does not have a registration details certificate, they will need to obtain a replacement. The seller can print a replacement certificate from their mySA GOV account.

If the vehicle is unregistered you need to complete an MR1 Application for Registration and Third Party Insurance (67.1 KB PDF).

You will need:

  • your licence or client number
  • name and address of the person you bought the vehicle from
  • vehicle registration (plate) number
  • engine number
  • vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number.

If you have not held a South Australian driver's licence or had a vehicle registered in your name previously, you will need to attend a Service SA Centre and present evidence of identity.

The Heavy Vehicle Configuration Information Sheet (405.6 KB PDF) has information that may help you register a vehicle if the vehicle has a GVM/GTM exceeding 4,500 kg.

Apply by post

Mail the completed and signed Application for Transfer of Registration or the application for registration and third party insurance with the correct fee. Payment is by cheque or money order.

Service SA
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001

Proof of ownership

The SA government registration and licensing system does not hold information about legal ownership of a vehicle. It is recommended that you (as the buyer) get a receipt as proof that you have bought the vehicle. The receipt should include:

  • your name, address and signature
  • the seller's name, address and signature,
  • the vehicle’s details such as registration number, vehicle identification number (VIN), engine number, make and model.
  • details of the sale including the date, and price paid.

Contact Service SA

COVID-SAfe Check-In will roll out from 1 December 2020.


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays on:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 22 November 2019

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020