Getting a tractor and farm machinery licence

If you have a 'C' class (car) licence you can operate small special purpose vehicles such as farm machines, small tractors and forklifts with a GVM not greater than 4.5 tonne.

If you intend to operate a forklift you will also require a high risk work licence. Visit Safework SA for information on forklift operation.

Apply to operate farm machinery and tractors with a GVM greater than 4.5 tonne

If you are a primary producer, or an immediate family member of a primary producer, or employed by one, and need to operate large tractors and farm machinery e.g. headers, agricultural front-end loaders and grape harvesters greater than 4.5 tonne, you will need to apply for a restricted licence.

To apply you must be at least 18 years of age and hold at least a ‘C’ class driver’s licence; a provisional licence is acceptable.

Download the Application for restricted licence (119.9 KB PDF). It must be completed and signed by both you and the primary producer and presented at your nearest Service SA Customer Service Centre.

If your application is approved you will be issued a new licence with a restriction added to it, allowing you to operate these vehicles.

You will need to pay a fee of $20 for a new licence and surrender your current licence.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 21 April 2021

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023