Apply for permission to carry out roadworks

An application must be made in writing to the Traffic Management Centre before any roadworks on major arterial roads in South Australia start.

How to apply to do roadworks

1 . Complete application form

Request a permit online using DIT's Roadworks Portal.

To request access to the portal, or for further information, please contact the Traffic Management Centre Roadworks team on 1800 434 058 or email

2. Meet the standards

Conform to roadwork standards.

Works including trenching, boring and road or lane closures (including those for events) must conform to excavation and reinstatement of road pavement standards and traffic control devices for works on roads requirements.

Why the road works must be monitored

The Department for Infrastructure and Transport monitors all roadworks that may infringe on or reduce traffic flow to:

  • ensure the road is not damaged
  • coordinate traffic flow
  • provide a conduit between the road users and contractors undertaking works
  • provide a central point of contact for emergency call outs, damage claims and public enquiries.

Locating underground road traffic cables

Before you dig around traffic signals or road lights you should check there are no underground electrical cables nearby.

Telephone the Traffic Management Centre 1800 018 313 (free call 24 hours).

Please take care when digging - damaging electrical cables can be dangerous for workers and costly to repair.

Related information

On this site

Roads and traffic

On the Department for Infrastructure and Transport site

For help on using the Roadworks Portal visit the Department for Infrastructure and Transport's Roadworks Portal FAQs page.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 25 October 2022

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023