Operating a heavy vehicle

Heavy vehicle permits

Application process for trips within South Australia

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) processes applications for Class 1 oversize/overmass, agricultural vehicles and special purpose vehicles (eg mobile crane, concrete pump, drill rig or fire truck) on behalf of the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR).

The NHVR processes all Class 2 and Class 3 heavy vehicle permit applications for travel in South Australia. To apply for a Class 2 or 3 permit, you will need to lodge your application via the NHVR Portal.

Cross-border trips

For all cross-border applications you should continue to apply to the NHVR through their Access Management website.

Oversize and overmass permits

Any vehicle that is greater than 4.50 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) and exceeds the mass and dimension limits for general access vehicles will need a heavy vehicle permit to operate in South Australia.

How to apply

Permit for travel within SA - Class 1 only

Class 1 oversize/overmass and special purpose vehicles travelling only within South Australia.

Apply for a permit online at EzyReg or download an application form:

Permit involving interstate travel between SA, VIC, NSW and QLD

For all permits involving interstate travel between South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland - apply to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator.

Permits involving interstate travel to WA or NT

For permits involving interstate travel to Western Australia or the Northern Territory,  contact Vehicle Permits in SA and the relevant authority in each state for the remainder of the journey.

DPTI Vehicle Permits
Phone: 1300 882 249 (Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
Fax: 08 8115 5542

Email: dpti.vehiclepermits@sa.gov.au

Western Australia - Main Roads
NT Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics

Excess mass export permits

You will need to apply for an excess mass export permit if you plan to transport goods in shipping containers that are destined to be exported, where the articulated combination exceeds 42.5 tonnes.

How to apply

To apply for an excess mass export permit, visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator's Access Management website.

Permit conditions

This permit is issued subject to these specific conditions:

  • The maximum container length is 12.2 metres.
  • Permits are available for periods of three, six, nine or 12 months only.
  • The route is restricted between the point of loading the container onto the articulated vehicle in South Australia and the container terminal in South Australia.
  • The permit is only available for conventional semi-trailers, not for extendable units or low loaders.
  • Council approval is required for travel on any council-owned roads and must be attached to the application.
  • Written evidence that the goods are destined for export must be attached to the application.
  • Written evidence of export must be carried in the vehicle when operating subject to the permit.
  • Permits are for individual prime movers.
  • An application form must be lodged for every permit.
  • All units on a permit must be listed for excess mass.

Related information


Other websites

The following publications are available from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator's publication page (mass, dimension and loading)

  • National heavy vehicle general dimension requirements
  • Classes of heavy vehicles in the Heavy Vehicle National Law

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 8 May 2017

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016