National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
Transitioned notices covering the operation of heavy vehicle access have been replaced and national and state notices made under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) have been updated. A list of expiring notices and their replacement is available on the NHVR website.
The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) administers the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL).
The HVNL and associated regulations operate in South Australia, Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales, the Australia Capital Territory and Tasmania, providing industry with one heavy vehicle national rule-book.
Services delivered by the NHVR
- National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme management and accreditation
- performance based standards, vehicle design and vehicle access approvals
- heavy vehicle access permit applications
- heavy vehicle standards modifications and exemption permits
- a national driver work diary and new risk classification system for Advanced Fatigue Management
- enforcement of heavy vehicle offences
- one set of national notices
The NHVR does not administer:
- functions covered by the Department for Infrastructure and Transport:
- legal and court processes.
Permit application process for trips within South Australia
All permit applications for heavy vehicles are processed by the NHVR. To apply for a permit visit the NHVR Portal.
Concessional mass limits
Under the HVNL, operators do not require an exemption in the form of a gazette notice to operate at concessional mass limits. Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Mass, Dimension and Loading) National Regulation incorporates all conditions and requirements previously provided under the South Australian gazette notice.
- MR1518 - Concessional Mass Limits Information Sheet
- Classes of heavy vehicles available on the NHVR website