Health and wellbeing

Sexuality and sexual health

Sex and sexuality are an important part of health and wellbeing for people with disability. Your local GP is a good place to start to discuss sexual health issues. You can be referred to a specialist service if you need one. SA Health offers a range of sexual health services including face-to-face clinics and telephone help lines.

Sexual Healthline

The Sexual Healthline is a confidential service that you can phone if you would like to speak to someone about sexual health.

Phone 1300 883 793. Country callers phone 1800 188 171.

Healthline nurses can put you in contact with local health services if ongoing support is needed.


SHINE SA offers a therapeutic counselling service by professional sexual health counsellors for individuals, couples and families, including those with disability.

SHINE SA welcomes people who are intersex, gender diverse and of all sexualities.

Phone SHINE SA on 1300 794 584. Email

Learn more about sexual health and disability

SHINE SA has resources about disability and sexual health. These include:

  • sexual and reproductive health services for people with disability
  • puberty information for parents of children with disability
  • sex education tips for parents of children with disability
  • friendships and dating advice.

SHINE SA also provides training for disability workers to improve their knowledge around disability sexual health issues and relationships.

Support for children and young adults

Youth Healthline

If you are aged 12 to 25 years, you can contact the Youth Healthline confidential service for information and advice about health issues including sexual health and sexualilty.

Phone 1300 131 719 (local call cost from anywhere in South Australia).

Sexual assault or abuse

If life is in danger, call 000 (triple zero).

Anyone, regardless of age, sexuality, gender, culture, ability or religion can be sexually assaulted. Sexual assault is a crime, but it is important to remember that the person who is sexually assaulted is never to blame. There are people who can listen to you and help you if you have been assaulted.

Child abuse can happen to any child. If a child reveals abuse or neglect to you, the most important thing is to make sure they feel supported and safe.

Responding to suspected child abuse or neglect

To report a reasonable suspicion that a child has been or is being abused or neglected, phone the Child Abuse Report Line (CARL) on 131 478.

Related information

Other websites

Recommended health checks for men and women - SA Health
Women's health services - SA Health
Men's health services - SA Health

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 12 October 2018

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018