Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with disability

There are culturally appropriate services and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with disability, their families, carers and guardians.

You, or someone you care for, may be eligible to receive support and services including:

  • help around the home
  • equipment
  • personal care, such as help with showering
  • transport
  • supported housing
  • day activities
  • respite.

Your local disability office can provide more information about services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in your area. They may:

  • link you with an Aboriginal cultural adviser
  • help you, your family and carers to find and use disability services
  • work with community agencies that provide culturally appropriate programs and services
  • act as your advocate to get services.

A doctor, family member or Aboriginal organisation can also make enquiries for you.

Supported housing

Aboriginal Elders Village in Davoren Park offers accommodation, care and support to Aboriginal elders, younger adults with disabilities and carers.

You will need an assessment by a registered nurse if you want to live there.

Phone 8346 9155

The Council of Aboriginal Elders of SA has information on:

Housing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people has more information about housing.

Major health conditions

If you have a health problem, such as diabetes, you may need additional assistance or help at home.

Domiciliary Care may be available if you live in the Adelaide suburbs or country regions of South Australia.

Domiciliary Care services are provided by  RDNS SA (Royal District Nursing Services South Australia).

Phone RDNS SA on 1300 761 577

General support

Centrelink has an Indigenous phone service for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island peoples who live in rural and remote parts of Australia and don't have direct access to other facilities.

Before you phone Centrelink, you will need:

  • your Centrelink customer reference number, and
  • proof of identity information. This could be your Medicare card, concession card or driver licence.

Phone 1800 136 380 (Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 5.00 pm local time).

Find out if you are eligible for government payments. is a portal to a range of government programs across Australia that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

First Peoples Disability Network Australia is a national organisation of and for Australia's first peoples with disability, their families and communities.

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 24 May 2019

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020