Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Personal alert systems rebate scheme
Due to COVID-19, changes are being made to the way some services are delivered. To apply for the Personal Alert Systems Rebate Scheme, scan and email your completed application to email@example.com or fax your form to 8226 7047. Processing delays will apply to applications received by post.
A personal alert system is a device that enables people to call for help in an emergency if they are unable to access or use a telephone.
The Personal Alert Systems Rebate Scheme (PARS) provides approved applicants a rebate of:
- up to $380 for the purchase and installation of approved monitored systems
- up to $200 per year for monitoring services for approved monitored systems.
- be aged 75 years or older (65 years or older if you are Aboriginal)
- have a Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession Card
- be a permanent resident of South Australia
- meet the additional clinical, functional and social criteria requirements
- have sought an assessment from My Aged Care for aged care services and been assessed as one of the following:
- approved for a Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)
- approved for a level 1 Home Care Package (HCP)
- approved for a level 2-4 HCP and not assigned an interim HCP
- assessed as not eligible for an HCP.
A registered health professional must certify that you meet all the clinical and functional criteria.
- be a high fall risk
- suffer from an ongoing major medical condition that requires an emergency response.
- have sufficient physical and cognitive function to wear and operate the personal alert system
- be willing to wear the alert system while at your residence and activate it if necessary.
At least one of the following must apply:
- you live alone
- you are alone for most of the day or night
- you live exclusively with someone who is unable to communicate using a phone in an emergency.
People not eligible for the rebate
- people who have not sought an assessment for aged care services from My Aged Care
- people approved for a level 2-4 HCP who have been assigned an HCP
- people who have rejected an HCP or CHSP
- people currently participating in a Transitional Care Programme (TCP)
- veterans or veterans' widows or widowers who are eligible under the DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program
- DVA Gold Card holders
- people who live independently in a retirement village where a personal alert system or similar service is included in the residence contract
- people who live in supported accommodation, such as a supported residential facility or residential aged care facility.
Approved suppliers and alert systems
Personal alert systems are all monitored systems. Some systems let you choose to self-install; others are installed by a technician.
|Range of pendant*||Installation||Purchase price||Annual monitoring cost|
Ph: 1300 665 904
|SmartLink Medi-Minder 106-189 or 106-224||Up to 300m||Installation and key safe box included in purchase price (metro areas only)||$380||$200|
Ph: 131 238
|4G SmartLink Medi-Minder with Smartfall Detector||Up to 300m||Self-install||$380||$200|
|Australian Personal Security (APS)|
Ph: 0447 825 250
|Smart Caller HP5 Bluephone Professional||Up to 100m||Self-install||$430||$250|
Ph: 1300 75 85 95
|CareAlert Smart Dialler Model CA 0417||Up to 150m||Self-install||$380||$200|
Ph: 8352 3300
|Chiptech Eve||Up to 300m||Installation and key safe box included in purchase price (metro areas only)||$380||$200|
|Eyre Health Mobility Equipment|
Ph: 8683 4788
|Smart Caller HP5 Bluephone Professional||Up to 100m||Self-install||$435||$250|
Ph: 1800 636 226
|LifeGuard SmartHome 4G IP Dialler with pendant, wristwatch, or fall sensor||Up to 100m||Self-install or installation from $165||$499||
$66 SIM card charge
Ph: 8202 4695
|Chiptech Eve||Up to 300m||Self-install or installation for $50 (metro areas only)||$379||$343.20|
Ph: 1300 854 365
|Tunstall Liberty 300 or Tunstall Smart Hub||Up to 300m||Self-install or installation from $150||$380||$244|
|SA Ambulance Service|
Ph: 1300 13 62 72
|SmartLink Medi-Minder||Up to 80m||Installation $126.50||$380||$324|
Prices are subject to change.
*The range indicated for each pendant is the maximum distance for its radio signal to effectively reach the alert system when obstructions are not present - eg double-brick walls, trees, hedges.
Help choosing a system
Two organisations can help with choosing a system.
The Catalyst Foundation
The Catalyst Foundation is a government-funded information service that aims to improve the independence and quality of life of seniors by providing free information about available services and facilities.
Visit the Catalyst Foundation website or city office at:
149 Currie Street
Phone: 8168 8776 or 1800 636 368 (SA country freecall)
Independent Living Centre
The Independent Living Centre (ILC) provides information and advice on equipment to help individuals improve their quality of life and maintain their independence. This service is free of charge and available for all members of the public.
ILC has an extensive range of monitored systems for the public to browse and trial. Health professionals can advise on the most appropriate system to suit your needs, as well as provide detailed product information and supplier details.
ILC's equipment catalogue has additional information on personal alert systems.
Visit the ILC at:
11 Blacks Road
Phone: 8266 5260 or 1300 885 886
The National Broadband Network (NBN) and your personal alert system
The introduction of the National Broadband Network (NBN) telephone services may affect people who use personal alert systems. Personal alert systems can work under the NBN but you will need to ensure that, when the NBN begins rolling out in your area, your telephone provider (new or existing) is aware you have an alert system and can support its continued operation.
In some cases, new equipment or extra wiring may be required.
You will need to register your personal alert system using the online NBN Co Medical Alarm Register or by calling 1800 227 300.
You can register immediately, you do not need to wait until the NBN is being rolled out in your area.
How to apply
1. Application form
Download the Application for Approval or phone Personal Alert Systems Rebate Scheme line on 1300 700 169 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
2. Complete with registered health professional
Complete and sign the application form with a registered health professional.
3. Submit the application
Interpreting and translating
To arrange an on-site or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.
Many documents are provided as PDF files. If you have problems accessing or reading these documents you can ask for a copy to be made available in another format.