Personal AlertSA

Devices with more features, such as GPS and falls detection, are now available.

Read about how the changes could benefit you on the Department of Human Services website.

Current customers' devices will continue to operate and be monitored.

Due to COVID-19, changes are being made to the way some services are delivered. For a quicker response when applying, scan and email your completed application to Processing delays may apply to applications received by post.

People can use a personal alert device to call for help if they are unable to use the phone in an emergency.

You can apply for help to pay for an approved device and for monitoring services.

Who should apply

You must:

  • be aged 75 years or older (65 years or older if you are Aboriginal)
  • have a Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession Card
  • be a permanent resident of South Australia
  • meet the additional clinical, functional and social criteria requirements
  • have sought an assessment from My Aged Care for aged care services and been assessed as one of the following:
    • approved for a Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)
    • approved for a level 1 Home Care Package (HCP)
    • approved for a level 2-4 HCP and not assigned a Level 1, 2, 3 or 4, HCP
    • not eligible for an HCP or CHSP.

    Visit My Aged Care or call 1800 200 422 to seek an assessment for aged care services.

Additional criteria

A registered health professional must certify that you meet all the clinical and functional criteria.

Clinical criteria

You must:

  • be a high fall risk
  • suffer from an ongoing major medical condition that requires an emergency response.

Functional criteria

You must:

  • have sufficient physical and cognitive function to wear and operate the personal alert system
  • be willing to wear the alert system and activate it if necessary.

Social criteria

At least one of the following must apply:

  • you live alone
  • you are alone for a minimum of five consecutive hours, four times a week
  • you live exclusively with someone who is unable to communicate using a phone in an emergency.

People not eligible

  • people who have not sought an assessment for aged care services from My Aged Care
  • people approved for a level 2-4 HCP who have been assigned a Level 1, 2, 3 or 4, HCP
  • people who have rejected an HCP or CHSP
  • people currently participating in the Transitional Care Programme (TCP)
  • veterans or veterans' widows or widowers who are eligible under the DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program
  • DVA Gold Card holders
  • people who live independently in a retirement village where a personal alert system or similar service is included in the residence contract
  • people who live in supported accommodation, eg a supported residential facility or residential aged care facility.

Approved alert systems and suppliers

Alert systems

All systems:

  • are 4G compatible
  • have falls detection
  • are monitored (non-monitored options available)
  • have SIM cards - additional SIM card costs apply if monitoring is provided by friends and family and not the supplier.
SystemWhat you'll payInstallationSupplier

Tunstall Gem4*

4G GPS pendant


Self-install with free telephone support


Free installation in metro areas

Tunstall Healthcare

Tunstall Smartlink Medi Guardian MKII

4G base unit and pendant


Self-install with free telephone support


Free installation in metro areas

Tunstall Healthcare


4G base unit and pendant


Self-install with free telephone support


$140 for installation by a technician



4G base unit and pendant with additional health monitoring options

$28 annual monitoring

Self-install with free telephone support


$140 for installation by a technician



4G GPS smartwatch with heart rate and steps counter

$379.50 - 46mm watch

$339.90 - 42mm watch


$28 annual monitoring

Self-install with free telephone support


$140 for installation by a technician


* Monitoring provided by Tunstall Australasia, or friends and family. A post-paid voice and data SIM card must be purchased separately for systems monitored by friends and family.


Contact your chosen supplier once your application has been approved.

Tunstall Healthcare

Tunstall Healthcare website


Phone: 1800 603 377


MePACS website


Phone: 1800 807 718

Download the list of approved alert systems and suppliers (104.3 KB PDF)

Help choosing a system

Two organisations can help with choosing a system.

The Catalyst Foundation

The Catalyst Foundation is a government-funded information service that aims to improve the independence and quality of life of seniors by providing free information about available services and facilities.

Visit the Catalyst Foundation website or city office at:
149 Currie Street

Phone: 8168 8776 or 1800 636 368 (SA country freecall)

Independent Living Centre

The Independent Living Centre (ILC) provides information and advice on equipment to help individuals improve their quality of life and maintain their independence. This service is free of charge and available for all members of the public. Health professionals can advise on the most appropriate systems to suit your needs, as well as provide detailed product information and supplier details.

ILC's equipment catalogue has additional information on personal alert systems.

Phone: 8266 5260 or 1300 885 886

The National Broadband Network (NBN) and your personal alert system

The introduction of the National Broadband Network (NBN) telephone services may affect people who use personal alert systems. Personal alert systems can work under the NBN but you will need to ensure that, when the NBN begins rolling out in your area, your telephone provider (new or existing) is aware you have an alert system and can support its continued operation.

In some cases, new equipment or extra wiring may be required.

You will need to register your personal alert system using the online NBN Co Medical Alarm Register or by calling 1800 227 300.

You can register immediately, you do not need to wait until the NBN is being rolled out in your area.

What you'll need

You'll need your:

  • Centrelink customer reference number (CRN) or DVA file number
  • My Aged Care (AC) ID.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download the Application for Approval  (123.4 KB PDF) or phone 1300 700 169 and ask for a form to be sent to you.

2. Complete with registered health professional

Complete and sign the application form with a registered health professional.

3. Submit the application





Personal AlertSA - 1300 700 169

ConcessionsSA Hotline - 1800 307 758

Interpreting and translating

To arrange an on-site or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Related information

Other websites

Falls prevention - SA Health
My Aged Care - Australian government


Approved suppliers and alert systems (104.3 KB PDF)
Personal AlertSA brochure (234.5 KB PDF)
My Aged Care brochure - Australian government

Many documents are provided as PDF files. If you have problems accessing or reading these documents you can ask for a copy to be made available in another format.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 20 May 2021

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021