Register a business name
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) administers the national service for business names. Once you register your business name through ASIC it can be used anywhere in Australia.
The two most common tasks when starting a business are:
- register a national business name
- register an Australian Business Number (ABN).
This service lets you register both at the same time.
To register a business name you'll need:
- the business name you wish to register
- the type of business entity you will operate under - sole trader, partnership, company
- your Australian business number (ABN) or ABN application reference number.