Apply for electronic drawing system approval
A trade promotion lottery must not be drawn electronically unless the system has been approved by Consumer and Business Services before the draw starts.
What to include with your application
- an electronic draw process report
- a system overview
- the source code
- an independent test report.
An electronic draw process report must:
- include the processes and controls to ensure all lottery entries are eligible
- show the processes for determining the results of the lottery.
The system overview must:
- describe the electronic drawing system components - eg hardware, firmware, operating system, software, configuration
- include firmware/software version numbers, patches, service packs
- detail the random number generator (RNG) used by the system
- detail software signatures - eg CRC32, HMAC-SHA1 - for application files providing the electronic drawing system functionality
- include copies of the source code for the software providing the electronic drawing system functionality.
The independent test report must:
- include a signed test report from an appropriately qualified and independent body or person, certifying that:
- the RNG has been tested and produces outcomes which pass a suitable number of recognised statistical tests - eg chi-squared, equi-distribution (frequency) test, gap test, poker test, coupon collector's test, permutation test, run test, spectral test, serial correlation test potency and degree of serial correlation, and tests on sub-sequences)
- all entries in the lottery have an equal chance of selection
- the system has appropriate security measures and controls to prevent manipulation of the entries and results
- include (or have attached):
- a statement of independence from the supplier of the system and the trade promotion operator
- details of the relevant qualifications of the issuer of the report.
If the electronic drawing system is already approved in another Australian or New Zealand jurisdiction, you may attach copies of the approval document(s).
Note: supporting documents are preferred in electronic format, via email or on a CD or DVD.
How to apply
1. Make sure you include all the relevant supporting evidence listed above.
2. Print, complete and sign the application form.
3. Lodge your application form.
What happens next
Consumer and Business Services will contact you when your licence is approved.
Contact Consumer and Business Services
91 Grenfell Street
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001