Petroleum and geothermal legislation
Rights to explore for and develop petroleum and other natural onshore resources in South Australia are managed under legislation:
The Act and Regulations also provide for:
- security of title for petroleum rights
- flexibility in the types of licences granted
- protection of the environmental and public safety
- public consultation processes to meet environmental objectives
- ensuring the security of production and supply of natural gas
- public reporting to provide stakeholders with information on industry performance and government decision-making
- regulatory intervention and enforcement.
Offshore petroleum exploration and development are governed by:
- Petroleum (Submerged Lands) Act 1982 (South Australia)
- Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage Act 2006 (Australian Government).