Vary an existing liquor licence

Landlord or mortgagee taking over a licence

A landlord, mortgagee or other person can carry on the business of a liquor licence and gaming machine licence if the licensee or tenant stops occupying the premises. These conditions apply:

  • You must notify the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner within seven days of taking over the business.
  • You  can carry on the business for up to one month - if you intend to carry on the business for longer you must lodge an application and be granted approval by the commissioner. Approval can be granted for up to six months.
  • You may be required to transfer the licence to yourself or to a third party if you intend to carry on the business for longer than six months.
  • Once approved to carry on the business, you may choose to suspend the licence.

Before you begin

You will need to:

  • supply the certificate of title
  • provide evidence that the licensee has ceased to occupy the premises/business:
    • deed of termination of lease
    • notice of re-entry
    • written evidence of licensees intention to vacate the premises.

If you are applying to carry on the business of a gaming licence you will need to also provide:

How to apply

There are no fees for this application.

Email, post or in person

1. Print, complete and sign the application form and attach your supporting evidence

Apply as a landlord or mortgagee to carry on a liquor licence (PDF 195KB)

Direct debit consent form (PDF 90KB)

2. Submit the application

Email the scanned documents to

Post your application to:

Licensing Branch
GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Take your application to:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000

What happens next

If your application did not include clear evidence that the licensee has consented to you taking over the business as a landlord or as a receiver, CBS will contact the licensee to make them aware of your application and give them a short time frame to respond.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 1 February 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019