Vary an existing liquor licence

Vary licence conditions, hours or capacity

New applications will replace licence transition data lodged through Liquor and Gaming Online (LGO). If you have completed your LGO licence transition and have concerns about the impact of a new application, contact

You can apply to Consumer and Business Services (CBS) to change your:

  • trading hours
  • licence conditions
  • venue capacity.

Before you begin

Varying your hours

If you want to change the hours that your venue is permitted to sell or supply liquor, you will need to determine whether the change falls within the standard trading hours of your licence type.

Check the standard trading hours of your licence

Inside standard trading hours

If you want vary your hours within the standard trading hours of your licence type, you can apply using the form under how to apply.

Outside standard trading hours

If you want to trade outside your standard trading hours, you will need to

Apply to extend trading hours - outside standard hours

Varying your capacity

You can apply to vary the capacity of your venue.

You must have a capacity assessment from:

  • the council
  • a private certifier
  • a registered architect.

Once you have the assessment, submit it along with the application form below.

Varying a general licence condition

If the condition that you want to change is also on your development approval, you should check with your local council. CBS will need a copy of your updated development approval.

If you have an updated development approval, submit it along with the application form below.


Fee type


Variation of conditions or hours


Variation of capacity


Risk-based licence fees

A new fee structure will apply from November 2019.

Licensees who review and reduce their trading hours and venue capacities may be able to lower their licence fees.

Licensees can calculate their annual licensing fees using the fee calculator.

How to apply

1. Print, complete and sign the application form and attach your supporting evidence

Apply to vary the capacity, hours or conditions of a venue (PDF 109KB)

2. Submit the application

Email the scanned documents to

Post your application to:

Licensing Branch
GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Take your application to:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street

What happens next

A copy of your application may be sent to South Australian police licensing enforcement branch.

Notification of your application may also be put on the CBS website and made available to the public. Your case manager will contact you to let you know whether you need to:

  • display a notification on the premises
  • notify your local council.

You will be asked to provide evidence that you have completed both of these.

If all the approvals are in place and there are no objections, the application process will take approximately six to eight weeks.


If the notice of your application is made public any person may object if they have a reason to do so - for example, if your neighbours think that your business is going to be noisy, or have an impact on the neighbourhood.

The police and council may also intervene in your application if there are concerns about public safety and disturbance, or if there are concerns about the fitness and propriety of any person.

If someone objects to your application you will:

  • receive a copy of the objection form, which will usually explain the objection
  • be invited to take part in a conciliation conference with the objector and the commissioner or a delegate, usually held at CBS in the Adelaide CBD.

Conciliation conference

The conciliation conference is not a formal process and there's no need to be represented by a lawyer, but you may choose to do so if you think it's necessary.

At the conciliation conference:

  • the delegate will ask you to explain exactly what your application is all about, how you wish to trade and so on
  • the objectors will explain their concerns
  • the delegate will help the parties reach an agreement
  • the delegate can explain what the law means and clarify any misunderstandings the parties may have but cannot provide you with legal advice.

If the objectors and you fail to come to an agreement, the delegate can't make a decision and the matter will be referred to a hearing.


A hearing can take place before a delegate or the commissioner if all parties agree, otherwise it will be heard by the licensing court.

At a hearing before a delegate or the commissioner:

  • you will be able to put your case forward
  • the objectors can explain their concerns
  • the delegate or commissioner will make a decision on the application.

If your matter goes before the licensing court, more information will be provided by the court.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 1 July 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019