Apply for a liquor licence

Small venue liquor licence

From November 2019 the existing small venue licence will remain. All small venue licences and some special circumstances licences will be incorporated into the category.

During October and November the processing of new applications may be delayed while existing licenses are being transitioned to the new categories.

A small venue licence allows you to sell liquor in a small venue within the Adelaide CBD.


The venue must be in the CBD and can't have more than 120 patrons at any one time. Small venues can be a small bar, restaurant, café, gallery or similar. This licence will allow you to sell liquor for patrons to consume on the premises without the need to provide food.

Map of Adelaide CBD boundaries (JPG 473KB)

Trading hours

You can trade:

  • any day between 11.00 am and midnight
  • with an extended trading authorisation between:
    • midnight until 2.00 am
    • 8.00 am to 11.00 am.


If you want to sell liquor to be consumed on a footpath, or similar outdoor area that is not part of your venue, you will need to apply for an extended trading area (PDF 284KB).

There is no separate application for an extended trading area if it forms part of your application for a new licence.

If you want to trade from:

  • midnight until 2.00 am
  • 8.00 am to 11.00 am

you will need to apply for extended trading authorisation (PDF 125KB).

If your venue hosts any entertainment that:

  • is sexually explicit
  • involves fighting like wrestling, boxing or martial arts

you will need to apply for prescribed entertainment consent (PDF 180KB).

Before you begin

To apply for a small venue licence you will need:

  • a floor plan of the venue - how to submit a plan for a licensed venue (PDF 344KB)
  • a copy of the lease agreement and permission from the landlord if you don't own the property
  • a certificate of title if you own the property
  • to determine whether you are applying as
    • an individual
    • a partnership
    • a company
    • a trustee of a trust or incorporated association

    • and provide the following documents where applicable:

    • a copy of the partnership agreement
    • an ASIC extract
    • an incorporated association constitution including a list of committee members
    • a copy of the relevant trust deed
  • to determine who holds a position of authority within your corporate structure or trust and lodge a personal identification declaration (PID) to have those people approved
  • a capacity assessment from:
    • the council
    • a private certifier
    • a registered architect.

The capacity for your venue may also be stated as part of your development approval or certificate of occupancy. If you do not submit a capacity assessment limit will be set as one person per square metre.

How to apply


Complete the online application

Apply now

Email, post or in person

1. Complete and sign the relevant application forms and supporting evidence
2. Submit the application

Email the documentss to

Post to:

Licensing Branch
GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Take your application to:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street


Application type


New licence


Extended trading authorisation


Extension of trading area


Responsible person or person in a position of authority


ID badge (if required)


A new fee structure will apply from November 2019.

Licensees can calculate their annual licensing fees using the fee calculator.

Positions of authority

It is your responsibility to ensure that all people who:

  • occupy a position of authority within your corporate structure/trust, or
  • receive profits or proceeds from the business

are approved by the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner.

Positions of authority include:

  • a sole-trader or people in a partnership
  • directors and shareholders, including where a shareholder is a body corporate
  • trustees and beneficiaries of the trust associated with the licensed entity
  • committee members in the case of an incorporated association
  • any person in the corporate structure which exercises influence or control over the business.

Minors who are shareholders in a proprietary company, or who are beneficiaries under a trust don't need approval.

Further information on who needs approval within your corporate structure (PDF 182KB)

Personal identification declarations (PIDs)

To be approved by the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner each person must complete and lodge a personal identification declaration (PID) with the application.

Personal information declaration (PID) form (PDF 681KB)

If a person has already been approved in a position of authority under another current liquor or gaming licence in South Australia, a PID is only required if their circumstances have changed since their last approval.

Responsible persons

The venue will need to be supervised either by you, or a person approved by the commissioner as a responsible person, whenever you’re open for trade.

If the responsible person you want is already approved you do not need to do anything further.

You can check whether any of your staff are already approved as responsible persons.

If you don’t already have an approved responsible person you will need to apply to have someone approved. This application can be lodged together with your application.

A PID must be completed and lodged together with your responsible person application.

Approve a responsible person - application

Personal information declaration (PID) form (PDF 681KB)

Further requirements

Once you have submitted your application, a case manager will advise you of the date it will be considered.

At least seven days before this date you must:

  • Provide a copy of the permit issued by your local council if you intend to apply for extension of trading area. The permit must be in the applicant’s name.
  • Provide any development approvals from council


  • if you do not have development approval but have been granted planning consent from local council the Commissioner can grant you a certificate if the venue isn’t finished, then grant the licence once the venue is complete. There is no additional application to convert your certificate into a licence.

More detailed information on the process and requirements of applying for a liquor licence is provided in the

Practice Direction (PDF 1.2MB).

What happens next

Notification of your application will be placed on the CBS website and made available to the public. Your case manager will let you know whether you need to:

  • display a notification on the premises
  • notify your local council.

You will be asked to provide evidence that you have completed the above.

Your case manager will send a copy of your application to the police (licensing enforcement branch).

As notice of your application is made public any person may lodge a submission if they have a reason to do so, for instance, if your neighbours think that your business is going to be noisy, or have an impact on the neighbourhood.

The police may also intervene in your application if there are concerns about public safety and disturbance or if there are concerns about the fitness and propriety of one of the persons seeking approval.

If any submissions are lodged against your application you will be given a copy of the submission and have an opportunity to respond before the delegate makes a decision.

If the police lodge an intervention against your application you may be asked to take part in a conciliation conference before the commissioner or a delegate. Your case manager will advise you.

At the conciliation, the police will outline the reasons for their intervention and you will also be provided with the opportunity to respond.

The conciliation is not a formal process but you may wish to be legally represented.

Once you’ve lodged your application, if all the council approvals are in place, the process will take around 6-8 weeks.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 21 June 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019