Liquor licences

Apply for a one-off event (limited) liquor licence

You must apply for a limited liquor licence if you will be having a one-off event, such as a party, function or special event and:

  • selling alcohol
  • supplying alcohol
  • allowing BYO

You must apply for a limited licence if you are an existing licensee seeking a temporary extension to the trading rights under your current liquor licence for a special occasion.

A limited liquor licence allows you to sell or supply alcohol:

  • at private and public venues or events
  • where guests pay a cover charge or donation and alcohol is served, or guests bring their own alcohol
  • where guests contribute towards buying alcohol, such as social club fees
  • if samples are given or offered
  • if alcohol is provided at a business function where the organiser may obtain a financial benefit, such as functions with the intent of increasing or maintaining their client base for example:
    • networking events
    • VIP events
    • corporate events
  • if alcohol will be consumed at a regulated location or premises such as:
    • a restaurant, cafe or shop
    • a bus, train or boat - on tours
    • a designated dry area
    • an amusement parlour or amusement arcade
    • an area adjacent to regulated premises - for example the oval next to a licensed club room
    • a public place which is being used for an organised event where guests pay admission.

Before you begin

You will need to provide details of your function and describe how liquor will be served.

You may also need to provide

  • written approval from the council and landlord
  • views of the local police
  • a plan of the site
  • details of any approved crowd controllers
  • number of toilets
  • type and location of prescribed entertainment (if applicable).

Large, outdoor or high risk events may also need details about:

  • any marquees - size and location
  • medical/first aid and ambulance services
  • public liability insurance details
  • risk and emergency procedures.

Who can apply

The person or organisation holding the event needs to apply for the licence.

Existing licence holders can apply to:

  • extend trading hours
  • vary conditions
  • add additional trading area

If more than one person, business or organisation will be supplying alcohol at an event, such as a festival, lodge one application listing all stallholders. A single licence will be granted and the fee adjusted.

How to apply


Standard applicationsFee

Standard application - fee per day of licence


Application to vary/amend an existing licence


Multiple applicantsFee

3 applicants


6 applicants


10 applicants


15 applicants


20 applicants


More than 20 applicants


High risk events


Any of the following:

  • if the event is outdoors for more than 300 people (can trade past 1.00 am)
  • boxing, wrestling or other adult entertainment
  • the maximum capacity multiplied by the number of days for the event is greater than 1,000 people (can trade past 1.00 am)
  • the maximum capacity multiplied by the number of days for the event is greater than 5,000 people
  • the licensing authority determines that the event will need significant resources to administer or enforce the Act.


Late feesFee

Lodged less than 14 days before the event - for small events
lodged less than 60 days before the event - for large events, exhibitions, festivals or high risk events.


Processing times

The processing time for your licence will depend on the event.

  • Small events (parties, functions) - apply no later than 14 days before the event.
  • Large events (exhibitions, festivals) - apply no later than 60 days before the event.

Late applications

There is no guarantee that you will be granted a licence if your application is late. The time frames allow the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner time to properly assess the application and seek the views of relevant stakeholders such as local council and police.

Contact Consumer and Business Services (CBS) to discuss your options if you want to submit a late application. However, these can't be accepted if:

  • someone will be unfairly affected by the shorter time, for instance, a landlord or council
  • there isn't enough time to fully assess the application.


You must display this sign in a prominent position if minors can access the licensed area.

You must be 18 to consume liquor on this premises sign

Notice to people under 18 years (PDF 90KB)

Glass containers at outdoor functions

You must get approval from CBS to supply alcohol in glass containers at outdoor functions.

Under 'other essential information' in the online application, list the method of serving as glass. If you serve alcohol in glass containers that are not approved, you will be fined.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming

131 882

91 Grenfell St

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 18 September 2018

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018