Vehicle gas fitting permit

A permit to carry out gas fitting work (motor vehicles) is required for the installation, maintenance and repair of LPG/CNG fuel systems fitted to any internal combustion engine.

Who should apply

Anyone who intends to carry out gas fitting work on motor vehicles must hold a permit.

Applicants must hold qualifications in an approved trade and have either completed an approved training course or have a letter giving details of three months' experience working under a Class 1 permit holder. The letter must be issued by the Class 1 permit holder.

Details of trade qualifications are listed on the application form.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download an application form from the SafeWork SA website.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the signed application in person or by post with SafeWork SA, along with the specified fees and any supporting documents indicated in the application form.

SafeWork SA contact details and office location


From 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019

The fees listed include:

  • an application fee of $111.00 (for a licence period of three years from date granted)
  • one book of 25 compliance certificates at $111.25
  • for a Class 2 application, three compliance plates at $11.10 each.
Class Item Fees
Class 1 All classes of gas fitting $0 - must already hold Class 2
Class 2 Three installations for approval $255.55
Class 3 Fork lifts only - installation, maintenance and repair $222.25
Class 4 Maintenance and repair of vehicle gas equipment $222.25
Class 5 Stationary engines - installation, maintenance and repair $222.25
Class 6 Other situation specific - please provide details on application form $222.25


Licences must be renewed every three years.

Renew your licence online

Related information

Other websites


Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 29 June 2018

Provided by:
Department of Treasury and Finance
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019