Security and investigation agent licence

Investigation agents

Individuals and partners in a business and companies must hold an investigation licence if the business does collection or inquiry work.

Collection work includes:

  • repossessing goods - eg finding and repossessing a vehicle if payments are missed
  • collecting or requesting debt payments
  • serving court orders
  • seizing goods to recovering money - eg for unpaid taxes.

Process servers don't need a licence. However, to run a business you'll need to be qualified and free from convictions described in the Security and Investigation Agents Regulations 2011.

Inquiry work includes:
  • searching for information about a person's character, actions or their work
  • gathering evidence to be used in court.

Security agents

Individuals, partners in a business and companies (including all directors) must hold a security agent's licence if you contract services for:

  • crowd or venue control
  • installing and maintaining security systems
  • guarding property or people
  • security systems sales and advice.

Some professions don't need a licence - eg law enforcement, legal practitioners. Refer to Section 4 Security and Investigation Industry Act 1995 for the full list.

Licensed to train security agents

If you will be training people to be licensed agents you must add 'security agent trainer' to your licence application.

Who can apply


Sole traders, partners and companies (including directors) can apply unless you have legal restrictions on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified trade licence.

You or your company can't apply if you were a director of a company that was wound up to benefit creditors in the last five years, including if you were a director six months before winding-up started.


Employees can apply if you're qualified and haven't been disqualified or suspended from holding a trade or business licence.

Offences and convictions

You may not be able to register if you (or a director of the company) have been convicted of:

  • Category A offence - serious (indictable) offence of dishonesty
  • Category B offence - summary offence of dishonesty in the last ten years.

Refer to offences and convictions for detail about these types of offences.

Before you begin

Knowledge and experience

Check you have the right knowledge and experience to apply for a security or investigation agents licence.

There are a number of places that offer training for the security industry.

If you have a qualification that's no longer recognised, you must apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL).

Companies must have a manager who holds a relevant licence, or more than one manager if their combined licences cover all the company's licence conditions.


Sole traders, partners in a business and companies must have at least $10,000 in net assets.

You can apply for a restricted licence to work with a licensed business partner if you don’t have all the knowledge and qualifications.

Police clearance - investigation agents

Investigation agents will need to have a National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old.

Apply for an NPC - South Australia Police

You don't need an NPC if you:

  • are submitting a personal information declaration - see below for details
  • are director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
  • have lodged an NPC with CBS in the last year
  • are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
  • have held a licence in the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
  • have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under this Act.

Personal information declaration - security agents

Security agents must complete a personal information declaration (PID) form if one hasn't been provided for another current licence.

People who have lived overseas in the last two years must provide a police certificate from the country where you lived, and a copy of your passport. If you can't provide the overseas certificate, complete a statutory declaration and include a copy of your visa grant notice.


Individual - employee, employee under supervision or security industry trainer


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


Individual -business


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


Body corporate (company)


Application for alteration to conditions


Apply for a new licence or upgrade an existing licence

Use this form to apply or to change your current licence - eg add the ‘security agent trainer’ sub-category.

1. Application form

Fill out the form, then print and sign it.

Apply now

2. Lodgement

Applications can be lodged online or by post. Choose your lodgement method when completing the form.

Digital licences

You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySAGOV app. Hard copies will continue to be issued and it's a good idea to carry these with you until digital licences become widely accepted.

What happens next

As part of the application process, South Australia Police will contact you to arrange fingerprinting. South Australia Police will contact you using the email address provided on your application.

Application processing times

You must have your security agent's licence before you can apply for a H6 firearms licence through South Australia Police.

Renew your licence

You will need to renew your licence every 12 months.


Individual - employee, supervised employee or security industry trainer


Individual - business


Body corporate (company)


Replacement of licence card or certificate

How to renew


You'll need your licence number and customer identification number (client ID) ready to pay by credit card.

Renew my licence


You'll need your licence number and customer identification number (client ID) ready to pay by credit card.

Phone 1300 668 531


Make cheque or money orders payable to the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs and attach to the front page of your renewal.

Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001

What happens next

CBS will send a new card once your renewal is processed.

Companies will be able to print a licence certificate by using its licence number, select 'licence certificate' at the bottom, enter the company’s client identification number and 'generate PDF'.

You will need to apply for a new licence if it expires.

Changes that will affect your licence

Notify CBS within 14 days if you have committed an offence or have had legal restrictions placed on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified work licence.

You will also need to advise CBS when you:

Contact CBS licensing


Phone131 882 and press 4

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 1 February 2022

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2022