Two different licences cover the storage of explosives on premises.

Who should apply

Anyone intending to store explosives must first apply for one of the two types of licence.

Store on premises

This licence is for storing explosives in quantities exceeding three kilograms and up to 60 kilograms.

The licence is valid only for the person to whom it is issued and for the premises for which it is issued, and is not transferable.

Magazine licence

This licence is needed for storing more than 60 kilograms of explosives.

A licence is issued to the applicant and is not transferable.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download the application forms from the SafeWork SA website.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the signed application at SafeWork SA, along with the specified fee and any supporting documents indicated in the application form.

SafeWork SA contact details and office locations


From 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021

Store on premises Fees
To keep up to 30kg $65.50
To keep up to 60kg $119.00
Magazine licence Fees
Not exceeding 1,000kg $208.00
Exceeding 1,000kg $360.00
Portable magazine Fees
Not exceeding 60kg$143.00
Not exceeding 1,000kg$416.00
Exceeding 1,000kg$723.00

Renewing your licence

Licences must be renewed annually.

Renew your licence online

Related information

Other websites


Was this page useful?

Page last updated 30 June 2020

Provided by:
Department of Treasury and Finance
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021